19 August 2012

Just returned from a two week vacation. Began with driving from WA state to North Carolina, the childhood home of my Dad's family. I drove with an aunt who is spending the winter in Sylva. She wanted to have her car so we drove. It was a fun trip. Took a full 6 days, a full 2 days more than my Dad used to take. A lot more relaxed too.
Here are just a few pictures. I love the old barns and houses. I spend the summer of 1972 in Berea, Ky and it was so nice to return even for just a drive through visit. Good memories. Beautiful little college town.
     Wild vines on a fence post in Sylva, North Carolina.

 Boone Tavern Inn, Berea, Kentucky
 White's Memorial Presbyterian Church, Berea, Kentucky
 Outhouse at the Farm Exhibit Smokey Mts, North Carolina
 Cutest little blue tailed lizard. Dilsboro, North Carolina
 The beautiful old Jackson County Courthouse, Sylva, North Carolina. My Dad lovedthis building. Wish he could see it all restored. The pink flowers are just perfect.
 Bridal Veil Falls, Highway 64, North Carolina
 River on Judaculla Rock Road, Caney Fork, North Carolina
 Whittier, North Carolina
 Old Monteith Homestead, Sylva, North Carollina
 A nice barn
 Barn on Barkers Creek Road near Dilsboro, North Carolina
 Another old barn
 Old tobacco barn, Wilmont, North Carolina

It's good to be home, but  hard to leave family there. I always have a good time.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a wonderful journey. I've always been fascinated by Berea College. One of my dreams is to travel to North Carolina (I've only been to the Cherokee Indian reservation that borders on Tennessee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent the last 15 minutes looking at your beautiful blog, your trip across the country would be a dream for me...Washington State is on my bucket list...the short list! (o:
    I love looking out the car window and watching the scenery change and I too love the old farms and barns along the way. i look forward to stopping by again.

    ReplyDelete